Auction Policies and Procedures
Real time bidding will be available for guests and bidders at home during the event on Friday, November 9, 2018. Notifications will be sent via text message.
1. All prize packages must be paid for in full by the end of the event. Payments may be made with cash, business or personal checks, or a major credit card.
2. All sales are FINAL. No returns or credits are allowed. Packages must be paid for at the end of the evening unless otherwise specified. Winners will receive a certificate with main contact information for prize redemption for each purchased auction lot at the end of the event. Arrangements will be made for the shipping of items after the event. We ask that you please cooperate with this provision.
3. All packages are sold “AS IS.” Please read lot descriptions carefully. Travel, special events, and dinner packages expire one year from auction date unless otherwise specified. All hotel accommodations and travel reservations are subject to space availability. Blackout dates may apply. Air travel, when provided, originates from New York/Newark airports unless otherwise indicated on certificate.
4. The highest bidder will be the buyer. In the event of a dispute between two bidders, the auctioneer will re-open the bidding between the two disputing bidders only. The auctioneer’s decision is final.
5. The auctioneer reserves the right to reject bids not commensurate with the value(s) of the item(s) offered. A “Reserve Lot” has a confidential minimum price below which a lot will not be sold.
6. Live auction item prices will be increased in increments at the discretion of the auctioneer.
7. Travel and dining packages are subject to blackout and expiration dates in 2018 and 2019.
8. For LIVE AUCTION PACKAGES, the James Beard Foundation will act as concierge to assist the winning bidder with arrangements. Any arrangements made for travel, transportation, or other aspects of the trip not included in the package will be arranged and paid for by the winning bidder. We strongly recommend that you contact JBF concierge Julie Marshall to book your LIVE AUCTION experiences within ninety (90) days of purchase to reserve the dates you prefer. For SILENT AUCTION PACKAGES, the James Beard Foundation is not responsible for making travel reservations, event planning, or catering arrangements unless otherwise indicated. For both LIVE AND SILENT AUCTION PACKAGES, the purchaser is responsible for researching all
applicable passport and visa requirements on foreign travel packages.
9. Dinners and catered events do not include beverages, taxes, or gratuities unless otherwise stated.
10. For auction lots requiring the use of the James Beard House or a private chef, we strongly suggest you select the event date within ninety (90) days of your purchase. Dates are subject to the availability of the Beard House. For these lots, the James Beard House will provide event site and kitchen, table setup (china, glasses, silverware, linens), maître d’, waitstaff, and dishwashers. The purchaser will be responsible for his/her invitations, guest list, decorations, and favors unless otherwise noted. The menu will be decided on by the chef in consultation with the bidder unless specified in the package. For SILENT AUCTION PACKAGES all arrangements must be cleared through the James Beard Foundation Programming Office: 212.675.4984
11. All prizes have been donated. Every effort has been made to describe packages as accurately as possible based on the donor’s description. The James Beard Foundation bears no responsibility should any item donated be unsatisfactory or should it become invalid due to foreclosures or changes in operations. The James Beard Foundation is not responsible or liable for any personal injury or property damage that may result from an auction package. Once a package has been sold, sole contact is between the purchaser and donor(s).
12. Lots purchased at this auction cannot be sold, bartered, or redeemed for cash.
13. Auction prize packages and confirmed bids are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Please consult your accountant for guidelines. The James Beard Foundation is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit charitable organization.